Alright Junkies… Let’s make this simple…
Wanna know our predictions? Then click here to join the Junkie Newsletter!
I’m afraid we’re not posting them on our website or on Facebook – We’re only posting them in the Newsletter this year. Oh – and please read this next paragraph too! 🙂
FYI – Once you sign up, you will need to “confirm” that you wish to receive it… THEN, your Newsletter will arrive between 6pm-7pm EST each day this week. Just make sure you confirm, add us to your address book, and have patience! It’s absolutely worth the wait! 🙂
Whew! Got that out of the way… 🙂 OK, now, in case you’re new to the Junkie Nation and would like to know more about how this works – Here’s a bit of background for you…
Many moons ago, before this blog, website, or even Facebook was born, I was looking for a way to reconnect with friends and family around Miss America week. So, just for fun, I started to see if I could pick 4 states that I thought might win Preliminary Talent or Preliminary Swimsuit at Miss America. Then, I’d send out an email telling them why I thought “so and so state” could win the given prelim. At first, I think people just opened the email because they hadn’t heard from me in a while (lol) – but soon, they began to humor me and play along. In order to suck them into my pageant vortex, I named the email list “Miss America Junkies”. Ever since then, I’ve been posting picks – and each year more and more Junkies join me in my pursuit of the perfect preliminary prediction.
In case you’ve never seen this before, here’s how it goes…
1. Two awards are given on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night… one for Swimsuit and one for Talent (no on-stage awards for Evening Gown or On-Stage Question). Three nights of prelims times 2 awards each night means 6 awards total (who says pageant girls can’t do math? GO STEM!).
2. I’ll select 4 states out of the 17-18 girls who could possibly win.
3. To provide complete disclosure… I’ve only seen 2 of this year’s contestants compete in person. I don’t attend Miss America rehearsals. 99% of our research on our picks is from online research alone.
4. Here’s the Prelim list… for Tuesday, we’re working with Alpha in Talent and Sigma in Swimsuit…
Now – before we get started with my predictions, there are a couple of things I need to point out…
1. The predictions below are my opinions and my opinions only. Sometimes I get it right – and sometimes I’m dead wrong. Of all the years I’ve been making predictions, the best I’ve done is 5/6… Which pretty much goes to prove, I’m not perfect.
2. If your daughter/grand-daughter/sister/best friend’s-baby-sitter’s-car-salesman’s niece isn’t on our short-list as a prelim pick, it doesn’t mean she isn’t talented. It doesn’t mean she isn’t ‘pretty enough’. It doesn’t mean she doesn’t have what it takes… It means, I’m not perfect.
3. Just because we accurately predict a prelim winner – it doesn’t mean she is the next Miss America. Remember, the last 3 Miss America winners (Mallory, Nina, Kira) didn’t win a single prelim – and I’m not sure we even had her on any of our prelim predictions from last year… But she walked away with the crown. Your girl can too.
4. This is supposed to be… (wait for it… wait for it…) FUN!!! Since predictions are the origin of Pageant Junkies, we have a blast seeing if we can accurately predict a winner simply through research and Junkie intuition. Please don’t take it personally if the girl you adore is not listed in our posts…
Our first round of Prelim Predictions will be posted in our Newsletter later this afternoon!!!
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!! First night of prelims is SO FREAKING AWESOME!!!